Love Your Person

Well, hello there. Long time, no see, my lovely readers! I know, I know. I am THE. WORST. EVER. about disappearing for unacceptable amounts of time. *insert monkey emoji covering eyes* But here I am. Knocking the dust off of my blog. Sadly, I don't have anything Bachelor Nation for you. Except - what the heck was Jordan wearing at Monday's BIP rose ceremony?! Good gravy. But kudos to our model-faced villain for throwing Brownie the Big Dog into the ocean. David. Is. Ridiculous. But enough of that.

This post is a little more serious. It's about something I've thought deeply about a lot lately.  Love and stuff. More specifically, the ole 'ball and chain' as they say. My better half. The one who keeps me (somewhat) grounded. The one who gets me. My very best friend. My person. Yep, him. And boy do I love him. And he's pretty darn easy on the eyes, to boot!

I think, stereotypically, the term "best friend" most generally refers to actual friends. The people we have no romantic connection with. We all have those friends. Besties. Friends we wouldn't wanna do life without. Partners in crime. Those we gossip with. Oh stop rolling your eyes, we all do it. Pals we aren't afraid to wear PJ pants around. That stuff. But it's a special thing when you genuinely feel like your spouse is your very best friend. And my husband is just that. I mean, I can't much talk sports. He can't much talk Bachelor, Bachelorette, or any other such reality TV gold. But it doesn't matter. We have other friends we can "talk shop" with where those interests are concerned. Then we have everything else.

When we first met, I was most attracted to his sense of humor... well, and his butt. Judge if you will. But it is what it is. I was a butt girl. Still am. And he had a good one. Still does. But that's where it all began. He turned my head. He made me laugh. And more than two decades later, he still does both. I love to laugh. It's in my DNA. And he makes me belly laugh. But I digress.

I guess I said all of that to say this... as cliché as it may sound, I am thankful and blessed. We have a great marriage. And that's the way we want it. I take an obscene amount of selfies with my man. And I post a lot of them. More and more, I see people posting/saying things intended to imply that people who only post happy posts are making an attempt at falsely portraying a perfect life. I'm sure a few do that. Not me, though. Nobody's life is perfect. Duh. That would be boring. Do I get annoyed by little things the hubby does? Far too often. Shame on me for real, though, because he rarely gets annoyed with little things. Do I get mad at him? Well does a bear take a dump in the woods? Do we argue? Who doesn't?! Do we raise our voices? Ummm, hellloooo, that's a big bag of yesssss. Have you MET me?! Do I have days I want to (but don't) punch him in the nose? You bet. But at the end of the day, WHY - why would I EVER put that drama out there on social media. That would be redonkulous. What the fiddlesticks, people! First of all, it would be super disrespectful to my husband! But also, I choose to be a positive presence. I choose to flood my social media wall/feed/story/etc. with happy stuff. I choose not to air my dirty laundry for the world to see. That's not trying to be fake. That's trying to be positive. Goshhhh. So I'm keepin' it positive, and I'm keepin' it real. The happy stuff I put out there is, indeed, real life. I'm gonna continue posting my happy pictures. Haters gon' hate if they want to. No, my pics aren't 24/7 stuff. NOBODY gets along 24/7. But the happy stuff makes me feel alive. It's what I'm about. It's what we are about. It's how we are most of the time. Happy. We're just happy. Even when we get mad momentarily, we are still happy. Sorry not sorry. Why would I post about a negative moment instead of the big picture? Gah. We all get mad at our person. I am no different. There are moments it's hard for me to like him very much. And that's ok. And it's normal... I think. But there is never a moment when it's hard to love him.

Anyhoo, I digress again. Love and stuff. I have that. I cherish that. I couldn't live without it. I am married to my best friend. I look forward to seeing him every afternoon. I look forward to spending time together. I look forward to talking about life and solving the world's problems together. Nevermind the fact that nobody actually ever knows our problem-solving plans. But we have talks about world news, and we have talks about cattle, and jobs, and kids, and food, and flowers, and those we've lost, and laundry, and weather, and traveling, and the future, and the first time we met, and growing old together, and all that other life stuff. Anything and everything. And I just can't wrap my brain around how my best friend in the entire world is also the dude who put a ring on it. Why am I saying all of this? Because I never do. I don't talk about it much. I don't brag on him much. I don't voice how he comes home after work with a "hey baby" every single day. And I don't talk about how he randomly texts and snaps with an "I love you" or "ready to see you" or maybe something funny or romantic. I don't talk about all of the stuff that makes me love him more now than I ever have. I don't voice how he sometimes gets emotional just telling me how much he loves me. I don't do any of that. Because of the nay-sayers. Because many people don't want to hear it. And because I don't want to seem boastful. But he deserves my praise. So I'm talking now. I'm saying it for anyone who took the time to read this. If this post makes all but one person roll their eyes, but makes even one person the least bit inspired or happy, then mission accomplished. My work is done!

Love your person, y'all. Be happy. Post happy. Love, and love big.


Here he is, my person.

Comments

Popular Posts