Fad Shmad - I think I can, I think I can

I'm sounding off about fad diets. It's a love/hate relationship. At first, I love - shortly thereafter, I don't. Anyone who has ever wanted to lose a pound or 2...or 40, has tried a fad diet. South Beach, 3-day, Atkins, Cabbage Soup, whatever. First off, none of them are enjoyable. No matter which one you choose, it's normally a sure fire way to lose a few pounds really quickly. Unfortunately, the pounds come back on just as quickly...plus a few in most cases. Why do we put ourselves through it? Because we convince ourselves that by golly we are bound and determined to keep it off this time! Typically, where fad diets are concerned, it is way harder to keep it off than it is to take it off. A better diet coupled with exercise. THAT'S the solution. There is no magic pill, no popular diet, no starvation method that will help us achieve what we want - our desired weight.

I'm tired of the roller coaster. Before baby #3, I had gotten down to a good size and was extremely happy with my weight. I ate right and I exercised to get there. I was successful in keeping it off. UNTIL..... you got it. Pregnancy. After that, life changed. Without boring you with the details of the past 5 years, I will just say that my priorities changed, as well as my lifestyle. Anyone with more than 2 kids understands! I have started and stopped "dieting" more times than I can count. Every time I clothes shop, I get mad and reach that mental place where I am DETERMINED to get back on the fitness wagon. By the time dinner rolls around, I've forgotten all about that cute little dress that so hideously accentuated my gut. Off the wagon once again. Once upon a time I worked out almost every day, ate wisely, had a 6 pack, and weighed barely over 100 pounds. Three babies and 14 years later, I don't find/make time to work out, I love Oreos, late night snacks are a staple, I eat larger portions, & I just don't have the drive anymore. I'm not delusional enough to think I could ever get that pre-baby figure back. I'd just look sick if I forced myself to that weight. However, as many women do, I have "skinny clothes" in the back of my closet that I would love to wear again. We are all capable of getting into the clothes we used to wear. If only it were easy to get there. If only.

I have adopted a 40-by-40 goal. Lose 40 pounds by the time I turn 40...in August. Yes, I said August. Two months away. I'm stuck at only 12-14 pounds. Still more than 25 pounds away. Not sure the 40 is going to happen. But I'm still trying. I mean, all I have to do is work in some cardio every day, hit the weights a couple of times a week, and eat better/smaller portions. Right? So why won't I do it?

Why am I blogging this for anyone and everyone to see? Accountability. To publicly proclaim that I CAN and WILL do it. Does anyone really care about my weight loss journey? No. Does blogging about it make me feel a little more determined? Absolutely. I will be the only one with something to gain from this, but isn't that my ultimate goal anyway?

So readers, as August approaches and you see me out and about, take a second to ask me how the 40-by-40 is going. Enter said accountability. If I think others are watching to see if I succeed, I just might do it. Maybe just maybe.

Comments

Popular Posts